Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Clinical Drug Trial

I will be starting the Clinical Drug Trial at the beginning of May.  I just hope I don't turn into a human glow stick but if I do at least Doug will have a night light. lol  The Trial is a Double- Blind Study which means that I nor the doctor will know if I am taking the real drug or a placebo.  My Urologist Dr. Kapoor is also the Study Doctor for this trial.  I will be taking the drug for 1 year and will have to have x-rays, CAT scans, blood work and will have to complete questionnaires over this time period. Doug and I figured either way they will be watching me so closely over the next five years what do I have to loose.
The drug is called Pazopanib (also called Votrient) and it is hoped that after having a kidney removed due to cancer the drug can or delay the renal cell tumour from coming back.  There are 1500 hundred adults in approximately 25 countries in North America, South America, Asia and Europe in this study.  It should take 2.5 years to complete and the results should be known in approximately 5 years.  There are side effects to taking this drug so I will know what I am taking.  The biggest side effect is diarrhea, lightening of hair clour ( like this matters I already colour my hair), high blood pressure (great I just got rid of my high blood pressure), rashes and there are so many more.  The ones I have listed are the most common ones. 

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous4/11/2012

    Hope all is going well

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous4/11/2012

    I see nothing but positives! You can beat this thing. Be strong! Hugs xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Full of life!!!! That is how I see you and think of you. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. What you think about you bring about and you have already brought nothing but positive thoughts. Take care.

    ReplyDelete